"We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." -Oscar Wilde
My photo
Port Washington, NY, United States

Monday, January 15, 2007

Where are we going?

Since I don't have a television, I hooked my laptop up to our projector and streamed cspan for George W. Bush's recent speech. Because we enlarged the tiny window on our massive wall, his facial expressions were not clear. Perhaps this is why I can safely say, "His annoying smirks did not make me throw stuff at the screen."

We listened to his new plan quite intently, often questioning if he heard any of the American people, or if he went deaf by all of the Americans surrounding the White House chanting, "No More War, No More War, No More War." Then I remembered that I didn't see any news articles about huge rallies outside of the White House, well, not recently at least.

What are we doing these days? I know that I'm tucked away in my apartment, chain-smoking as I read more and more news clippings about the possible outcomes of Iraq. The other day I drove down a road nearby my apartment that is always busy with restaurant and bar goers. There were about 30 people standing on the side-walk with signs that read, "No More War", "Stop Bush", "Peace!", etc. I honked my horn in recognition of their efforts.

I honked my horn...
What is that? When did that become an acceptable means of protest? When did we stop showing the Government what we want and let the polls do their work? Obviously they don't do the trick.

I recently read a news article in the New York Times' Week in Review by Hellene Cooper titled, "The Best We Can Hope For". She explains that the best we can possibly hope for in Iraq is a Civil War, while the worst we can hope for in Iraq is nuclear war. Better yet, Civil War is inevitable, while nuclear war is slightly possible.

On that same page is an article titled, "In the Land of Bold Beauty, A Trusted Mirror Cracks". Apparently Brazil is no longer a place that accepts the fleshy women with bottoms. Anorexia is on the rise. Since I don't live in Brazil, and better yet- have never been to Brazil-I don't know if this idea of fleshy women was ever embraced. Our mass media has always told me that it's true, but when did it alter?

All of these things confuse me. I feel like I'm on an express train to hell, and there is no getting off. Did we sign up for this ride? I don't remember reading about this in the brochure. My young days of bright hope have been darkened with reality. And, frankly, I'm scared shitless to have children.

3 comments:

AFM said...

oh my god I so understand what you mean. but don't be afraid of having kids. the world was a lot more fucked up for them years ago.
-marsha

Unknown said...

"We are leaving a terrible legacy of poison and diminishment of the environment for our grandchildren's grandchildren, generations not yet born. Some people have called that intergeneration tyranny, a form of taxation without representation, levied by us on generations yet to be. It's the wrong thing to do."
-- Ray Anderson

amagilly said...

Holy shit, I just turned on the news and found out that we invaded Iraq. When did that happen?
What's next, Iran?

gilly

Blog Archive