"We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." -Oscar Wilde
My photo
Port Washington, NY, United States

Friday, February 8, 2008

Wrapping it up

I've been wanting to talk to you, sweet blogger, for way too long.

It appears that many have fallen--behind and out.
Hillary Clinton, Barak Obama, and John McCain. All else seems beyond repair.

As most of you know, I'm not a Republican, so I'm really left with two possibilities. I was (eek) pleasantly surprised to see that McCain came out ahead on Super Tuesday. Let me go ahead and explain myself in as few words as possible: a minor baby-step away from the Christian Right; waterboarding is torture; he won't win over many hearts because he's dull as all hell?

I'm happy to say that there is a tough choice ahead for the Democratic Party. We have two good candidates, for two different reasons. A co-worker pointed out that if Clinton wins the election, we will have 22 years (minimum) of Bush or Clinton. A good argument for "real change"?

I didn't vote on Super Tuesday, but in the end my vote would have been cast for Obama. I like Clinton's healthcare policy better and I wish Obama would discuss policy a bit more, but in the end, he won me over. His campaign slogan sells, and he makes us all believe again. That's something that the world needs. We all need to believe that America can and will change. We need it more than Gore needs fresh air and better weather.

Perhaps when there is a candidate, I'll get more hyped up. In the meantime, I'm listening intently. We have a chance again. We might be heard.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This election year has me feeling more optimistic as of late. I was really down on myself thinking that the hope I have in Obama might have been crushed by Hillary winning NY and Cali. But it's nice to know that those states are proportional representation.

What's interesting is how Obama keeps winning the states with Caucases. Maybe the Edwards Orphans club are silently hitching their wagons to O.

Edwards would make a great Attorney General. His track record as a Plaintiff's Lawyer would definitley have the insurance companies shaking at the knees...

I would love to have a woman in the WH; however, I am scared that a Clinton on the ballot would stir up the hornet's nest on the religious right...But the only thing that scares me more is Huckabee...

If things contiune to follow the course, I'm starting to think this election could be like the race in '60 with Kennedy vs. Nixon. Obama, lively and prophetic in his speeches, might need a backdoor deal at the convention to win. On the other side, McCain seems very determined to win at any cost. Will he have a "Secret Plan" to win the war? (was that 1972 or 1968???)...

I just hope people finally got that electronic voting "thing" down this time in Broward...

Tony Alterman said...

Your posts have certainly gathered steam lately - 3 or so in the last month. You'll get over that 7 month gap if you keep this up!

Shame on you for not voting, esp. since you would have voted for Obama. For about the same reasons I did. As i said to the HRC supporters in my family, I know Hillary too well, and whatever she gains in experience, she loses through the dozens of blots and stains on her character that I know from her long political history. I don't go to Obama rallies, or think he is the herald of a social revolution. He just gives me some hope of serious change.

Keep blogging. I've backed off PL lately partly because of other priorities and partly because I'm thinking of turning my energies to a new one, on a subject near and dear to my heart (which you of all people should be able to guess).

Watch what happens... (or did Bravo copyright that phrase?)

One Angry Guy said...

Cool Blog Kim. Back in the day, I had a blog and I think I'm going to start a new one. Maybe about Politics, maybe about my upcoming wedding. Maybe about the politics of a wedding....who knows....

I hope to see you and the hombre soon.

Love,

Rigo

Nous Letters said...

Ryan-- I appreciate your optimism. It's definitely an exciting time. I hope that the general election will be a great moment for the Democratic Party. In the meantime, I'm holding Broward county in my [insert non-religious word for 'prayers'].

H.A. Monk-- I do feel terrible for not voting, but I was quite undecided during the time period I should have requested an absentee ballet in CA. By the time I made up my mind, it was far too late. Please let me know when you switch gears; I'd love to help/watch/cheer, you know, light some fireworks.

Rigo-- Send me the link when you have it going. I'd love to hear about it all. Dinner date soon at our place!

Blog Archive